Re: [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?

Subject: Re: [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:17:21 -0600
Thanks!  This is some terrific info!!!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 3:44 PM

> The wonderful thing about astrophotography is that it's amazingly easy
> to get very good results without too much effort.  If you've got dark
> skies then you're laughing already!  The only things you need are a

    You forgot the catfish pond and, I didn't mention I'm retired on
disability.
    I've been laughing for several years.
> tripod and a cable release.  Here's my advice for star trails and some
> other ideas for night-time photography:

          Cable release...  Where did I put that?  It's probably still in
storage.

> Star trails
> ===========
>
> The easiest way to begin astrophotography and often very impressive.
> First of all you need a moonless night.  Load your camera with slow film
> - no faster than 200 speed.  Use either your 28mm or 50mm lens.  Set the
> camera up on the tripod and point it roughly north and about halfway
> between horizon and directly overhead.  Set the aperture to something
> around f/1.8 - f/2.8.  Open the shutter, and leave it for at least half
> an hour.  My best star trail photos have resulted from roughly three
> hour exposures onto Fuji Sensia 100 film, with a 28/2.8 lens - here's a
> couple of examples:
>
> http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/ohp/2001/photos/trails1.jpg
> http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/ohp/2001/photos/trails2.jpg

   Ok, "trails2" where the stars appear to spin around the center of
something.
       (You can tell I'm an Astronomy expert here...).
   Is that where you were telling me to point it?

> Avoid zoom lenses unless you want to risk ending up with something like
> this:
>
> http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/astro/photos/pictures/plughole.jpg

    Yuck!

> ...!
>
> Fixed stars
> ===========
>
> If you want untrailed stars, then you want fast film and a fast lens.
> The Zuiko 50/1.4 would be ideal.  Again, a moonless night is needed.  If
> you can see the milky way, point the camera at it.  Otherwise, try the
Oh, I probably could see it if I knew where it was... :)
> Big Dipper (or the Plough, as I know it), or Orion (the nebula will
Ok.  That one I can find!
> easily show up as a reddish-purple blob).  Open the lens to its widest
> aperture.  With a 50mm lens you can do roughly a 25-second exposure
> before the stars start trailing.  An example of a fixed-star shot of
> mine, taken with a Zuiko 50/1.8 lens on Fuji Super HG 1600 film with a
> 25s exposure is here:
>
> http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/photo/photos/milkyway.jpg
    Nice!!!
    Ok. I have some Fuji 800. I'll give 'er 25 seconds at 1.4

> Moonlit nights
> ==============
>
> Trails and stars are best attempted when the moon is not around, because
> otherwise over a long exposure the sky washes out.  But you can turn
> this to your advantage - moonlit landscapes can be very interesting.
> The rule here is that 4 minutes at f/4 on 100 speed film is a good place
> to start with exposure times.  Here's an example of mine, which followed
> that rule to the letter:
>
> http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/astro/photos/pictures/INTdome.jpg

Ah yes.  That's sort of what got me into the OM-2 in the first place was the
long
time exposure potential.  Before that I used a Yashica Electro 35G which
also took
great available light photos at night.

> Other things
> ============
>
> Keep a look-out for northern (or southern) lights - the sun is active at
> the moment and it's quite easy to capture aurorae on film if and when
> they occur.  400-800 speed film is best, with exposure times around
> about a minute or two.  The 28mm might well be best for this.
> www.spaceweather.com has all the latest info on auroral activity.

Ok. I'll save this part for reference.  The one neighbor is to the south
and,
when the leaves are off of the trees, I can see his security light pretty
well.
How far above the horizon?

> Meteors - best seen on January 4th or August 12th, but there are other
> meteor showers throughout the year.  Try a similar approach to northern
> lights photography.
>
> Satellites - mostly they're too faint to photograph, but the
> International Space Station is easy to capture on film.  Check out when
> it will be visible at www.heavens-above.com .  400 speed or faster film
> is best, and you'll get a great shot if you just open the shutter when
> you spot the Station and close it when it's gone.
>

> Hope that's helpful, and I wish you the clearest of skies!  I once had
> an unrepeatable chance to take a photograph of Mir and the International
> Space Station, passing across Orion at the same time, with a foreground
> of telescope domes...of course cloud obscured the event.
>
> Roger

Wow!  Great information!  Thanks Roger!  I'll start with the first couple of
ideas.

Anything I can do with the mirror lens?  It designed so that you can
actually focus "past" infinity to allow for temperature variations.