Re: [OM] okay I'm lost

Subject: Re: [OM] okay I'm lost
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:45:11 +0000
At 22:46 1/21/02, you wrote:
Thanks John,
I'm always impressed with the thoroughness of your answers. I'd given up
trying to locate a self timer, and turning off the beeping is definitely
a nice feature to know about.

First thing I did when I got mine!

I couldn't find anything that the button on the side of the prism did,
and still can't. Maybe the lighting feature for the viewfinder is burnt
out on mine?

Might be . . . but try it after dark. The tiny wheat lamp isn't all that bright so you may not see the effect in broad daylight. The thin white strip on the front of the body should also glow when it's on; it only stays illuminated for a few seconds . . . and you have to have the shutter speed ring in something other than the red "60" or "B" position.

It came with a little cap on the PC connection, but the 'five pin
connection'?? looks as if it should have a little threaded cap. Is this
right?

Yes
That's the TTL Auto Cord connection and there should be a small threaded cap on it. It's not uncommon for the cap to be missing if a previous owner used the socket frequently; I've almost lost mine several times. A missing PC socket cap is even more common (AFIK it's press on and often gets knocked off).

The little threaded socket by the hinge, looks like another cable
release perhaps?

No . . .
Had forgotten about that until you mentined it. An accessory "Camera Grip 1" can be attached there. Won't fit into a never-ready case with it attached though, and it's not very big. The difference with one is somewhat subtle, more like handling the body with a case bottom on it. Someone with huge hands might like it but I never felt a need for one. It's in the eSIF:
  http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/phototechnicalgroup/camera_grip_1.htm

Mine has the green flash ready light I've read about. Is that a concern?
Other than that, it seems somewhat like my OMPC as far as functions.
Olympus got a nice hit on the asa/compensation dial on this one, too.
Thanks, Wayne Culberson

I know Ag-Schnozz used to run through battery sets. IIRC he was using it to shoot weddings too; continuous flash usage with it turned on for 5+ hours at a time. I never worry about it. My flash usage is much closer to "average" including an occasional stretch for 3-4 hours. A set of "357" cells lasted over 9 months; about the same as the OM-4! Fresh "357" watch cells last longest in the OM-2s and OM-4. The 2s doesn't sit in the bag waiting for the a call-up of the reserves either. I regularly use all three bodies.

-- John