Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night sky

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:44:26 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike" <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Olympus-Digest" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry
night skys?

> ...It is in the middle of an area of small ranches and reservations and
> the security lights are a real problem. They pretty much take care of
> your night vision....

Rant mode on:

>How come when people move out to a rural area the first thing they do is
>put up a "security" light?
We don't put it up, the electric company does and maintains it and provides
the
power for it for $5/month.

> What good does a light out in the sticks do anyway?
It's so you can SEE!  There's no light pollution, thus there is NO light.
Thus, it's DARK.

>What's going to look more suspicious, a couple of guys loading
>your TV in a van in a conveniently brightly lit yard or a couple of guys
>with flashlights doing the same thing?
        Doesn't make any difference.  Either no one will see you or, it will
be
        your neighbor who knows if it's you or not.

        You want to carry one or more flashlights with you at all times?
        If one goes out or breaks on you , you need a backup to get back.

>Besides the fact that in rural areas security isn't much of a problem.
        Besides which, by knowing our neighbors, a stranger doesn't go
uninvestigated for long.
        Ok.  Is calling it a "Yard Light" better?

>People who wouldn't imagine throwing their trash in the environment
What doesn't burn goes in the gulley.
Unless you want to pay BFI to drive 40 miles a week to make a pickup which,
amounts to about  $150+ a month.

> don't think twice about lighting up the woods with a sodium vapor yard
light. Gheez!
They're my woods.  I can do what I want with, in, and to them.

> Phew! Got that off my chest. Rant mode off:
>
>mike

Maybe if you got out in the wilderness more, you'd be calmer.

Jon