Re: [OM] A good tripod?

Subject: Re: [OM] A good tripod?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:39:31 +0000
At 03:32 1/22/02, Skip Williams wrote:
[snip]
I'd also recommend you invest in a good ball head. I put this investment off for 20 years, buying instead 4 Gitzo heads and 2 Bogen heads. All are gone except one Gitzo; replaced by an Arca-Swiss B1 Ballhead. This is the finest piece of equipment that ever topped a tripod. Once again, a lifetime investment and worth every penny of the $250 I paid. Also, save yourself some aggrevation and get Really-Right-Stuff plates, they're the best.
[snip]
There are as many opinions about tripods as there are photographers. Good luck.

Yes . . . almost guaranteed to start a thread.

Style of head should match the type/style of photography and what works best for the individual. While some are accustomed to ball heads [e.g., Skip] I've always used 3-D pan heads, and have been wanting a gear head (Bogen 3275/410) to fine tune adjustments when using the shift lens in lieu of the 3410/329 3-D head. The trade-off among the three basic styles is typically between aiming speed and precision (precise leveling or perspective alignment). Legs and head should be "matched" for weight capacity. The worst combination is a massive "large format" head on legs that are too light for it (e.g. Bogen 3057 head on 3001 legs).

-- John