Re: [OM] OM4Ti (was om4ti failure)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti (was om4ti failure)
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 00:07:28 -0800 (PST)
Adi just MIGHT have gotten a lemon. It happens to
every make and manufacture of camera, altohugh some
(like Leica) which deal in a far smaller volume and
spend above and beyond normal on quality conrol will
of course have fewer screwy cameras. I would get the
4ti if you want but I would definitely test it out
first, try to shake it around a little bit and put it
through its paces in some non critical situations. If
nothing screwy happens then you got a fine camera
that'll probably last you for a decade or longer
before it needs a CLA. If it fails... well thats what
the warranty is for. OM 1-4 are all pro level cameras
right up there with Nikon, Canon and Pentax/Contax.

This is all if you are buying new of course. The 4t
was the older designation for the 4ti destined for the
U.S to get rid of grey market shenanigans. For a
couple of years now though all 4's are 4ti's. If you
are buying used (and this goes for ANY equipment you
buy used you must be informed about the equipment.) A
used 4(ti) that shows wear and yet still works
perfectly is probably a very reliable camera, but get
at least a 14-30 day return and TEST it out during
that time.

All that said I restate that OM is not some chinsy
Russian Leica copy or Chinese Pentax that will fall
apart as soon as you look at it most of the time, they
are right up there with all the other major
manufacturers pro level cameras and there are NO major
repeated defects in the line.

Finally as for the Zuiko lenses. There are some ones
to watch out for (such as very early 50/1.4 lenses)
but in general Zuikos are the equal or even sharper
than the offerings from other manufacturers. A lot of
people compare their picture taking with that of
Leitz. Zuikos are almost always lighter and smaller
than similar lenses due to design philosophy and yet
they don't sacrafice quality at all. You can also get
equipped quite cheaply and well with slower Zuikos
while looking out for good deals on the
fast/macro/superwide/or shift lenses which cost a good
deal more. There are some legendary lenses esp the
90mm macro which takes pics that cannot be
distinguised from the Leitz 90mm (or so I've heard).
Again though if you are buying used lenses (which is
the major market since new Zuikos cost mucho dineros
over used ones) you have to test them out. If a lens
is covered in fungus or has misaligned elements it
won't take good pics no matter who manufactured it.

If you want to get into manual focus SLR photography
today there are only two manufacturers left.
Leica(which won't disappoint except in the wallet) and
Olympus OM (which has a wonderful community, support,
and used market prices are usually less than half new
price which means you CAN get really expensive
specialized lenses like the 90mm macro, but you don't
have to and can put together a substantial system for
under $500 and a super system for under $1000.

Mark Lloyd