[OM] Warning fraudulent fake e-Bay activity for harvesting credit card i

Subject: [OM] Warning fraudulent fake e-Bay activity for harvesting credit card information!
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:07:51 +0100
Dear people at e-Bay, NAS, Qwest and AOL,

I have received a very cunning fraudulent e-mail, which has the intention to
commit credit card fraud. Please read this e-mail thoroughly, as your
companies are in one way or another being disabused by the person that sent
this e-mail, and people should be warned and protected against the
fraudulent actions of this person.

In brief summarisation:
e-Bay: Your name and page lay-out has been impersonated by someone, to
harvest credit card information.
NAS: The offending page resides at one of your machines (according to Visual
Route).
AOL: The offending URL resolves to an AOL member's page.
Qwest: the e-mail has a forged originating address of anonymous@xxxxxxxxx

All, please read on for the details, so proper action can be taken:

Supposedly, I had ordered something through e-Bay and it can be cancelled by
going to a mentioned URL.

Apart from not having ordered anything through e-Bay for a substantial
amount of time, it is obvious that this is spam e-mail. Normally I simply
disregard such e-mails, but, in this case, I feel the content to be severe
enough to bring it to your attention.

The case is that when one goed to the mentioned URL (i.e.:
http://www.eBay.com-order.fw.nu (which is obviously a fake)), one receives
an encrypted HTML page, that is decrypted by Javascript (check the page's
source for more details), that outputs a fake e-Bay page, using the e-Bay
page's layout. On this page one is prompted to enter their credit card
information and submit it!

Obviously this is a money stealing scheme, against which people need to be
protected.

Using visualroute, I managed to track the location of the site down to a
machine owned by Network Access Solutions (I.P. address: 66.95.89.46) in
Virginia, USA.

By looking at the page properties, it becomes obvious that the actual URL
is: http://members.aol.com/cullcrow/

Using, Hotmail's "advanced" header settings, I managed to get the full
e-mail including the headers, it follows down below between the asterisks: