RE: [OM] OM-PC quality

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-PC quality
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:01:04 +0100
Hi,

For a great many years (1986-1999) I've used my OM-40, which is my first OM
camera. In 1999 it started to develop a light leak, and at that time I was
already looking with great interest at an OM-4Ti.

I managed to find an inexpensive 4Ti, so I made the upgrade, and I fixed the
OM-40 in a very easy manner: by putting some black isolation tape over the
film information window.

The OM-40 is a very nice camera, and the ESP and Program options are very
ineteresting when passing the camera to someone who doesn't want to mess
around in Auto/Manual mode. The ESP mode is especially useful for
counterlight situations, but it also helps in other situations where there
are big differences in the light levels measured in the centre and around
the edges.

Also, I personally like the grip of the OM-40 better than the grip of the
other OM bodies. The TTL flash metering is also a nice feature on this
consumer (semi-pro) camera, as is the slightly brighter version of the
focusing screen.

Downsides: high battery consumption (even when the camera is not in use),
not as solid as the single digit bodies, no spot metering :(, the focusing
screen cannot be changed without modification.

All in all, a very nice camera that is well worth the few bucks that are
typically asked for it.

Cheers!
Olafo