Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night sky

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:28:19 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "AG Schnozz" <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry
night skys?

> > Thanks for the link, I'll pass it on to our county
> > commisioner. We're
> > looking to pass something similiar here.
>
> I didn't pull up the link, but I know that around these parts,
> the utility companies have been replacing their street lights
> with these newer designs that focus all of their light downward.
> The DOT replaced the lights last year at our Interstate's
> exit/on ramps so I have to use our yard light when I'm grilling
> steaks after dark.
How inconsiderate! :)

> The prison, seven miles away, changed their lighting too.  The
> prison's lighting was so bright that nobody needed security
> lights for at least five miles around.  At three miles away you
> could still read a newspaper.  Lowering the lights from 150' to
> 75' helped too as they are now behind a hill from our house.
>
> The improvement has been great enough that I can actually do
> star photography in our backyard.  Every couple weeks somebody
> wipes out on the exit and takes out a light pole which is a nice
> benefit to star-gazing.  Our own street light doesn't work half
> the time either.

Well, that's brings up another good point about the Sodium-Vapor Security
Lights.
Night driving.
I have backed into a tree or two before I had them trim some
of the branches blocking the light.  It hadn't damaged the truck yet but,
it was beginning to annoy me.  Yes, I have backup lights but,  it was
small enough that it was hard to see but, just big enough (about 2"
diameter)
I couldn't run over it and break it down (not backing up into it in a short
distance anyway).
I also cut the tree down - that was a stupid place to put a tree anyway...
Opposite the
garage door and 30' away.

> Speaking of lights, we have replaced most of our lightbulbs with
> these CF bulbs.  Our electric bill has been so much lower that
> our payback is under six months.  Trying to figure out what to
> do with a closet full of old bulbs though.
What's a CF bulb?  Cafffeine-Free?

The old bulbs?
Hook them up for bare-bulb flash with one of those new-fangled switches
I just heard about and wired for double the nominal line voltage.
Set the shutter on bulb, press the shutter button and then, the switch.
No need to worry about taking your finger back off of the shutter release.
I think that will occur instinctively.

Jon