Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night sky

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:02:12 -0800
I've seen them in catalogs, but not recently. The ones I saw are just a little LED light as big around as a button cell with a ring to hold them on a finger. I figured they would just get in the way of using my hands and/or sang on pockets/clothing/equipment straps and go flying off somewhere, and probably hurt me in the process. A little LED light on a string around ones neck works fine for photography. Wow! now that I think about it, I think I'll get one of those little spring loaded gizmos people put ID/Keycards on and put a little light on it. Not the old heavy duty one for a ring of keys, the lite plastic ones.

Moose

Jon Wichman wrote:

A US company makes something we Brits call a 'finger torch". I understand that US Marine helo pilots use them at night when they are using night vision goggles and don't wish to "flare" their gogs. Our boys managed to get hold of them for the Kosovo campaign. The light is a dull green colour (flat green?) and it straps to a finger (you will be surprised to read ;-)).

It would be pretty cool to have one of these for small illumination of your gear during night photography...

Chris

It sound like it indeed would!
Now that the topic is momentarily on photography, I wonder if you
could find a source for those on the web or something?
Or, are they still top-secret military only stuff?