Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night sky

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:42:59 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:01:54 -0600, Jon Wichman wrote:

>> Bah humbug. All a light does is to ruin your night vision. If you
>> stand outside for a minute or two, your eves will adjust and you'll
>> be able to see plenty.
>Plenty?  On a moonless (new moon) night,
>you (I) can't see your (my) hand in front of your (my) face.
>You must have some light pollution.

You must have lousy night vision. I'm out on the farm, and there is
no light pollution to speak of. Miles from the nearest source. But
you'll never find true darkness outdoors. Even on a moonless night,
there is plenty of light to get around with.

In all seriousness, have you ever done any darkroom work? Done any
night hiking or camping sans lights? Been in the military or lived
out in the sticks? There are lots of folks who can testify to the
ability of the human eye to adapt to low light conditions.

>> Of course, if you're walking around unfamiliar terrain or peering
>> into outbuildings, a flashlight is a good thing to have handy, but
>> anyone should be able to walk around their own yard at night. It's
>> really not that dark - you have a million suns shining on you!
>So, you stand there for a minute or two and, then turn the flashlight on?

No, I just start walking, and keep the flashlight off unless I need
it (i.e. to investigate a strange noise in the shed).

>Well, it depends upon what your back yard is I suppose.
>If you have it clear-cut and bulldozed into a neatly groomed little patch of
>grass
>that you have paced off, that's one thing.
>
>If you have 13 acres of not-exactly-flat mixed woods and grassy plains
>and have only lived there two years, that is another.

When I lived in TN, we used to hike at night all the time. Edge of
the cumberland plateau, tens of thousands of acres of woods, we just
avoided the blufflines. All it takes is a little bit of pattern
recognition and some common sense. We still troop up and down through
the woods and swamps during duck and deer season getting to blinds
and stands before sunrise.

>> For nighttime photography, I will confess to keeping a mini-mag light
>> on a leather cord around my neck. It helps if I need to check the
>> aperture, shutter speed, or some other small detail. But it goes
>> right back out as soon as I've checked.
>Ohh . A mini-mag light on a leather cord!  Is that corinthian leather? :)

I hunted and hunted for days and couldn't find a single Corinthian to
skin. Tracked a couple of Naugas, but I stepped in a hole at night
and twisted my ankle. So I finally had to settle for an old boot
lace.

-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co