Re: [OM] Why bigger images are better 5

Subject: Re: [OM] Why bigger images are better 5
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:21:45 -0500
CH,

At 12:41 PM +0000 1/22/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:32:41 +0800
>From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Why bigger images are better
>
> > CH,
> >

> > Could you tells us more about the technical specs of the Fuji Frontier?
>Number of pixels, bit depth of the pixels, etc?  This may be far more camera
>than the little 2.1-megapixel P&S I mentioned.
> >
> > Joe Gwinn
> >

>Fuji Frontier 350 is the most common printing machine here employed by the
>digital processing lab, it is a laser printer that printing at 400dpi (if my
>memory serve) on Fuji Crystal Paper.

Ah.  A fancy color printer.  And I thought it was a camera.

>There is a review on
>http://www.belgiumdigital.com/ select "photofinishing service" for the
>comparison, it also mentioned Fuji Frontier is the best they have tested.
>You can also see some very nice photos here.

I couldn't find any info on Fuji Frontier at the above URL, although the site
was quite interesting.

>On the other hand, one of the most impressive digital site I have seen is
>at:
>
>http://photography-on-the.net/gallery/list.php
>
>Unfortunately the photos were taken with G1 not Olympus :-)

Many were taken with an "E30" as well.  Later additions?  Anyway, very nice.

>If you have a decent monitor you will see how the digital perform in color
>and contrast or depth, a figure does not show how good it is.

My monitor is pretty good, and the photos are very good.  But one cannot
compare X with Y by looking only at X in isolation.

Now for a eat-your-heart-out datapoint:  Leaf is one of the current top of the
line in professional digital cameras, costing $20K to $30K for the back; you
provide the camera body and lenses.   Foveon hopes to steal marketshare from
Leaf.  Leaf uses actively cooled 2048 by 3072 pixel CCD imagers, and captures
14 bits per pixel per color.  Their "HDR" (High Dynamic Range) file format
provide 16 bits per pixel per color, for 3*16= 48 bits per pixel, yielding a
36Mbyte file:  2048*3072= 6,291,456 pixels.  Unlike consumer cameras, each
pixel has all three colors, so if it were advertised like a consumer camera, it
would claim 18.9 megapixels.  Anyway, each color requires 2 bytes (16 bits) to
store, so the total file size for one photo is (6,291,456)(3)(2)= 37,748,736
bytes, or 36 Mbytes.  The Leaf camera back fits Sinar (4x5), Hasselblad, Fuji,
or Mamiya, and requires 110 or 220 volt AC power.  This is for studio use only.
 (ref: <http://www.creo.com/products/digital_photography!
/>)

Just for fun, let's combine the Leaf with the Fuji Frontier:  2048/400= 5.12
inches by 3072/400= 7.68 inches at max resolution.  Probably, color rendition
improves if we make the print a bit larger.  For comparison, high-grade
magazines use something like 1,200 lines per inch, and 2,000 is not uncommon.

Joe Gwinn