Re: [OM] OT Philosophy (was) OM4Ti Failure

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Philosophy (was) OM4Ti Failure
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:00:22 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "andrew fildes" <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 12:43 AM

.> they equally valid and do they overlap? Just bought a nice copy of
Avedon's
> 'In the American West' - 10"x8" portraits of working people in West
Texas -
> because it moved me. Rips the heart but is it art? Friend and family can't
> work out why I'd spend that much (US$70ish) on a book of pictures of
mostly
> ugly people. Nice scene in the otherwise ordinary film 'The Truth about
.

Nor can I, Andrew.  I remain amazed that the Amon Carter, an otherwise
competent and respected museum, commissioned that has-been New York fashion
photographer to make "a definitive statement" about people of the West - a
commission which he used to commit assault with a camera on a great many
unsuspecting people, not just in West Texas, but across the entire Western
United States.  Pure elitist crap!  To top it off, he insisted that the
prints (which he had no hand in printing) be mounted on inch thick titanium
blocks for exhibition!  Avedon is a man whose talent for self-promotion
vastly outweighs his very minor remaining talent.  No, it is not art.  It is
the work of a man who wants you to be convinced that he is not just "an"
artist, but The Artist.   He fails miserably because he has no soul.

Uh, nothing personal, Andrew.

Gary Edwards