[OM] OM lens fascination

Subject: [OM] OM lens fascination
From: Thomas Mueller <thomu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:48:45 +0100
Dear Zuikoholics,

well, I am still new in the Zuiko field and I came to it rather by chance.
I am still not secure about using my Om4Ti and I am not sure what the
quality and potential use of the lenses is.

So, I did a lens test by photographing a newspaper from tripod with timer
release to reduce vibrations. And I was a bit disappointed about the
performance of my lenses at wide aperture with respect to sharpness,
contrast and vignetting. This was true for the 2,8/28 (MC, Japan written
inside filter ring), 2,0/35 (MC, Japan), 1,2/55 (probably not the rare
earth version), 1,4/50 (MC, Japan). They were all okay after stopping them
down by two fstops. But, what is the wide aperture good for if not to use
it, that is my current feeling. The only exceptions were the 2,8/35-80 and
the 2,0/90 which were brilliant even wide open.

Maybe, you guys can share your opinion about the use and fascination of the
OM system with me to make me feel a bit more happy and confident about what
I can and what I can not do with it.

Gruesse, Thomas