Re: [OM] Digital Day Coming-WAIT A SECOND!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Day Coming-WAIT A SECOND!!!
From: "Bruce Hamm" <bhamm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:11:48 -0500
Digital Day Coming-WAIT A SECOND!!!Why would anyone want to CONTINUALLY invest
in new digital stuff?

Hi Bill,

The problem here is that your friend's camera broke. The question is....if it
hadn't, would he be merrily using it for years to come?

I had an interesting conversation with a fellow on New Year's Eve. He and his
wife had just made the decision to buy a digital camera....something in the 3-4
MP range. During our conversation, I let it slip that although digital
intrigues me, I am not about to make that kind of investment in a tool that
will probably be outdated in a year. As I said that, he looked at me like I was
nuts. Then it hit me. He was totally oblivious to this whole old technology/new
technology debate surrounding digicams... because the products have already met
his currect and FUTURE needs. To him, 3-4 MP digicams have already come down to
his price point and all he is ever going to ask of his camera is 4x6 snapshots
and the occasional 8x10. He could care less if in the next year or two he could
buy a 5-6 MP camera for the same price. He would still only ask of that camera
a maximum of an 8x10 enlargement. And he'd have to wait another year of two for
something that he wants to make use of now (i.e. he has small children). I
think that, more or less, most consumers are in his situation.

Now, many of us on this list don't look at the situation in that light. We want
more...for less than it is presently priced. But, to me, that just says that
the performance level of digicams has not yet reached the level where it would
meet my needs, and at a price point that is agreeable to me. If, in a few (or
several) years, one can purchase an interchangeable lens digital slr that is
capable of producing nice 16x20 inch prints, and is available for less than
$2,000... then I'm sold. And, unlike PCs, I wouldn't feel compelled to rush out
and replace it every time something newer or better is introduced. Why? Because
what I already owned would suit my needs. Although I may find that someday my
needs may change, I seriously doubt that would occur with the same frequency as
is witnessed with the introduction of newer and better technology.

regards,

Bruce

Bruce Hamm
Ottawa, Canada