Re: [OM] Digital Day Coming-WAIT A SECOND!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Day Coming-WAIT A SECOND!!!
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:43:01 -0800 (PST)
This enormous turnover of digicams, 35mm, and even
some medium format (look at Mamiya's lineup, just how
many variations are there of their pro cameras?). Is a
swindle being pulled on the consumer. With digicams it
makes a bit more sense considering the rapid evolution
of that technology, but I find it near inexcuseable
for 35mm film. It sucks to be a consumer of ameture
and pro SLR's in today's market. You get a 'latest
greatest' ameture or pro SLR today and 2 years later
that camera is superceded by another 'latest
greatest'. The problem is 7 years down the line there
are no parts availible for your camera and it costs as
much to get a new model as to repair the old. Same
thing goes for the wonderful hyper warp speed silent
8-8,000mm lens you have. That lens is replaced with
the ultra super duper warp speed lens that absorbs
sound ultra af 8-8,000mm lens. With OM system its been
totally different. You spend a couple hundred for a
nice OM body and some lenses. After 10 years you get
the thing CLAed and its as good as new and the lenses,
barring catastrophe, are still focsing and looking
almost like new. So instead of a 5-10 year life span
you have a 30-whenever year life span. I mean look at
the old Leicas and the Olympus Pen. Simple, elegant,
and yet tough and enduring.

Personally I'm trying to get a cheap digicam for web
images but will wait until the technology matures a
little and product cycles are more than 1-2 years for
a more expensive one. I love how N*kon and C*non
justify rolling out a new camera every three years.
They add stupid superfluous LCD panels a built in MD
that is either 1fps faster or quiter or something and
a few more stupid tricks, just so they can phase out
the 'old' camera that was already ok and had
everything eeded to take wonderful pics so in five
years they can get rid of all the spares and force you
to buy a new camera.

I know this isn't a big concern to the 'pro'
photographer who shoots enough to wear a camera and
lens out and therefore justify the cost. However to
the casual and even serious ameture photographer (aka
990f the population) it's just disgusting).

Mark Lloyd