Re: [OM] Digital Day Coming-WAIT A SECOND!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Day Coming-WAIT A SECOND!!!
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:45:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Bruce Hamm wrote:

> To him, 3-4 MP digicams have already
> come down to his price point and all he is ever going to ask of his
> camera is 4x6 snapshots and the occasional 8x10.

(snip)

> Now, many of us on this list don't look at the situation in that
> light. We want more...for less than it is presently priced. But, to
> me, that just says that the performance level of digicams has not yet
> reached the level where it would meet my needs, and at a price point
> that is agreeable to me. If, in a few (or several) years, one can
> purchase an interchangeable lens digital slr that is capable of
> producing nice 16x20 inch prints, and is available for less than
> $2,000... then I'm sold.

For the time being, I've decided not to invest in the E10, for similar
reasons.  The real deciding factor was a 16x12 monochrome print
currently adorning my living room wall.  It's of a young lady playing a
'cello, and required an exposure of (IIRC) 1/30s at f/4.... on ISO 3200.
I don't believe there's a digital camera out there that could have
caught that image, and that's the sort of image I often find myself
trying to capture.

For most of my photographic needs, an E10 would be the ideal digital
camera, but unless it can do all that I want, it's a very expensive toy
and I can get a lot of film processed for UKP1000.

I'd be willing to switch to a lower resolution (say 2 Megapixels instead
of 6) to get higher sensitivity, just as I'm willing to trade grain for
speed with film, but if I can't use a digicam for my main photographic
interest, common sense is still just prevailing over techno-lust in the
Nichols household.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |