Re: [OM] OM lens fascination

Subject: Re: [OM] OM lens fascination
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:07:22 +0100
On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:48:45AM +0100, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Dear Zuikoholics,
>
> So, I did a lens test by photographing a newspaper from tripod with timer
> release to reduce vibrations. And I was a bit disappointed about the
> performance of my lenses at wide aperture with respect to sharpness,
> contrast and vignetting. This was true for the 2,8/28 (MC, Japan written
> inside filter ring), 2,0/35 (MC, Japan), 1,2/55 (probably not the rare
> earth version), 1,4/50 (MC, Japan). They were all okay after stopping them
> down by two fstops. But, what is the wide aperture good for if not to use
> it, that is my current feeling. The only exceptions were the 2,8/35-80 and
> the 2,0/90 which were brilliant even wide open.

 I do agree with a most of the comments here.
But what I like most is the statement, that your test is to show what lens is
most suited
 to reproduce Newspapers. - Not more - Not less.

You`ve mainly tested general purpose lenses, which are designed for best results
 at infinity. None of them is a floating element design. So image deterioration
at
closer distances is unavoidable.
Some time ago I read a book about Leitz lenses. they described each lens with
comments about their pro- and  contras. They adviced on any general purpose
lens, to stop it down 2-stops  for best results with subjects closer than 2..3
meters.

Exeption are lenses designed for close distances and flat field, usually
 macro lenses. Your test showed this (see 2.0/90 Macro).
The surprise of your test is the good result of the 2.8/35-80.

Your  wide open tests are also affeced with the curvature of field problem,
which is not that importand for 3D-subjects. So lens designers do compromise
on general purpose lenses at this point. Any lens is a compromise
 (at least regarding to the price tag).

This is another good reason why your OM has interchangable lenses.

Frieder Faig