Re: [OM] Bulk Loading - was B&W film recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Bulk Loading - was B&W film recommendations
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:47:41 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Jon Wichman wrote:

<SNIP>

> A show of hands!
>
> Who's used a bulk loader before and, does not think
> that "with proper care" - it can be done safely and economically?

I agree, with care it can be done safely. Have done it for years. However
I also found that reusing the cassetes too much did impact the quality, I
found.

> Again, please don't provide all of the theoretical problems.
> With proper care and procedures, can this or can this not be done safely and
> economically?

Basically, I found that the cassettes I used started to suffer from three
main problems:

        - the "opening" became loose, and would eventually pop open, even
          without turning. Clearly, that's not desireable ;)

        - the felt where the film slides in and out would, over time,
          contract "stuff", which would scratch the film,

        - the felt where the film slides in and out would get worn, and
          light would leak in.

Probably it was due to the fact that my cassettes were getting old and
should be replaced. However me also getting more lazy (!!!), I just
started buying bulks of pre-rolled film rather than buying new
cassettes. Anyone wants to buy a patterson film loader?? ;)

Probably other problems can arrise too. Those were just what I
experienced.

--thomas