Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:51:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, P. Linford wrote:

> Delta 3200 - truely wonderful film, try it, try it. Develop in Microphen
> (1+0) or DD-X. If you want to use a film at 1600, try pulling this one
> rather than pushing one of the 400s.
>
> Tmax-3200; I have never been able to get good results with this film.

I'm not going to argue with with your other comments, but my opinion on
these points differs.  I've recently developed a preference for TMax3200
over Delta 3200, which was previously my ultrafast film of choice.  I
find that I get better contrast out of my negatives without losing
tonality.  The Tmax seems to have a fainter base tint which could
account for that.  I also find that Tmax gives less noticeable grain.
Both developed in ID-11 (process as for D76 with Tmax).

I still favour Delta 400 for 400, 800 & 1600 speeds.  I haven't tried
"pulling" Tmax 3200, but when I tried it with Delta 3200 I found that
the granularity was not noticeably reduced, whereas puhsing the 400 a
couple of stops didn't increase the granularity to the level of the
3200.  Again, all developing done in ID-11 (1+1 for 400 ASA).

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |