Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W film recommendations
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:17:21 +0100
Hi Skip,

> Hmmm.  Have your tried Vuescan?

No, not yet. I tried the demo once and it was hard for me to see any
difference. At that time, I was not so aquainted with my scanner (it still has
some mysteries for me), so I could not see any advantages using Vuescan.

Do you think a multiple scan or something would solve the problem?

Also, ICE shouldn't be used except for
> scratched films.  It's not a grain reducer.

It is not? I have never used a scanner with ICE, so I don't really know what it
does to grain. I just read it somewhere. Excuse my uncritical citation.

And you shouldn't need grain
> reduction on anything less than ISO 1000 film.

I often use colour negative film (Superia 800) pushed to 1600 ASA. Then you can
see grain, of course.

> As I said before, something is wrong if you can't get good B&W scans from a
> good scanner, IMHO.

I will consider that and do some tests again.

Thanks for the advice.

Best regards

Bernd