RE: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:53:51 +1100
>> IMO, you're taking advantage of your friend. If she really doesn't
>> feel like she can do it, she may be afraid to say so for fear of
>> letting you down. If she can't handle it, and tries anyway, you'll
>> all be disappointed, or worse- angry.
>
> Oh, she thinks she can do it -- she's already planning on doing someone
>else's wedding, and knowing the person in question, I can't realistically
>see her doubting her abilities..  I suspect, to be honest, she'd be offended
>if we _didn't_ ask her -- but I don't want to end up with things not working
>out because she can't manage it but thinks she can; and at the same time I
>want to find out some way to phrase this without sounding rude.
> -- dan

There's a lot more to being a wedding photographer than being able to take
photographs - there are times when the photographer has to virtually run
the wedding and they have to be a very good people manager in an excitable
situation. That's why, I think, some very good photographers won't touch
them and some very ordinary photographers do a very good job indeed. One I
know is a nice, extroverted guy who can cheer up Aunty Agnes and get
everyone together smiling. He does nice weddings and studio work but I
don't like any of the other stuff he does.
Tell her you want her to be 'part of the wedding' and hire a pro. For
instance, get a pro to do the dull church formals and give her licence to
do the informals at the reception.
AndrewF