RE: [OM] eSIF offline - eSIF on CD

Subject: RE: [OM] eSIF offline - eSIF on CD
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:29:46 -0800
I was hosting some PDFs on my site for some Sony audio gear. What I found
was that people would use it as an "online manual" all the time. It was
killing my outbound bandwidth some days (ADSL, 128K out, 768K in) as
people's browsers downloaded chunks of the PFDs while people scrolled around
in them.

Solved the problem by ZIPping the PDFs to prevent it. Now they either
download the whole thing or leave me alone, a fact which my server logs
confirm (and my bandwidth utilization has to have dropped, as well, based on
those logs. I suspect that might be part of the solution for the ESIF.

On-line PDFs are nice... but they're *tremendous* bandwidth hogs when people
keep repeatedly downloading the whole things just to pop-up and re-read page
8 in their browser window.

---
Scott Gomez