Re: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 01:14:05 +0100
Yo,

on Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:44:13 -0800, dreammoose wrote:

>I photographed (not knowing how dreadfully dangerous it was) my then
>sister-in law's wedding around 1970. I had fun, they loved the pictures
>and they are still married

I've done four weddings so far (all my sisters', of which I have two,
and one of a very good friend's), and Moose took the words right out
of my mouth with what he said. No problems at all (I would like to
emphasize that the fact that only two of the marriages lasted up to
the present had _nothing_ to do with the pictures ;-) ).
Also did a few baptism celebrations (4 of my nephews' - nephew no. 5
is just 8 weeks old, so one more will be coming up soon -, and my
friends' little daughter's) with similar results.
Although I've lived in the U.S. for two years, I've never been to a
wedding there - from what I keep reading here on The List they must be
much more formal there than over here.
Here, it's mainly the wedding ceremony at the registry office (which
is mandatory for the marriage to be legal) and/or the ceremony at the
church (which is optional), and the following feast. The trickiest
part is getting good shots during the official ceremony or ceremonies,
as the proceedings there are, of course, not designed to accommodate
the photographer. The rest is just regular candids.
The bride and groom _may_ have a couple of shots taken at a photo
studio, or some posed shots outside (usually in a park, or in front of
some picturesque old buildings like castles, churches or similar), but
I've never seen the rest of the wedding party involved in those,
except may be the two witnesses. I can't do the former, for lack of a
studio, but I've done the latter.
Baptisms are very similar.
Various equipment was used for all these shoots (I did not always have
the selection I do now), including OM-10, OM-PC, OM-2n, OM-2, OM-4,
IS-1000, with 35-70/3.5-4.5, 35-70/3.6, 28/2.8, 200/4, 85/2,
35-105/3.5-4.5 Zuikos, and a few third party lenses, with Cullmann SCA
dedicated flashes (DC-32 and DC-36) as needed.

And every time, I was there not only as the official photographer but
also as a guest, enjoying myself in both capacities and still making
photos that everyone was happy with - something that is, according to
the consensus on this list, not possible at weddings in the U.S.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart