Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)

Subject: Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 07:26:14 -0800
I have to say, with a bunch of Zuikoholics like us, it would be STUPID of
Olympus to try to gain new marketshare, all the while making sure we are
abandoned.  We are the easiest and most obvious target market for Olympus,
and so if this is the case (although with heavy middle managment, I have
100onfidence that they can screw up even this obvious fact..)

My predictions::

They are pretty revolutionary and so they will make a digital SLR where the
CCD is exactly the same size as the 35mm film, and although it's an AF, it
can take an old OM lens, and be MF, thus keeping the most important repeat
buyers (That would be us) in the game..  We leverage our old lenses, and
they introduce a completely new line of AF lenses... and slowly one by one,
we buy the AF's and phase out the MF's that way..

Of course, soon, (with the death of the Leica R6.2 also) there will be very
few MF systems left..  After 10 years, an outcry will occur, and some
company that is currently only a 3rd party lens provider, will come out with
a "retro" MF line of lenses, complete with body...

I really hope they use a CCD that's the same size as a 35mm film plane..
That way, no screwing with mental measurements of what telephoto qualities I
have gained due to film size vs. ccd difference...  Also, that would yield a
better resolution and higher megapixels also..

Albert

I would hope your predictions come true, but I really thing that the CCD will be smaller to allow a smaller camera which has always been an Olympus goal. That certainly appeals to the most customers. While size has always been an issue for Olympus, it has never been committed to a format. They have used and discarded 120 and half frame. Except for the OM system they have never ventured into professional territory and some would argue that an SLR system without interchangeable prisms is not really professional anyway. I think they will keep their hand in APS and 35 mm point-and-shoot as long as there is a market and I think that the new camera will be a really nicely enhanced version of the E20 with interchangeable tiny lenses for extremes out of the range of the main zoom, but a cut or two below the top of the line versions of the big two. What they may do is establish a new standard lens mount so that bodies can be discarded and replaced every couple of years to get the electronic improvements. I guess we will have to wait and see.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California