Re: [OM] Tripod recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod recommendations
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:40:55 +0000
At 21:23 1/25/02, you wrote:
If you can get a Bogen 3021 tripod with 3047 head. I
got that and it has served me beautifully. Before that
I had the most disgusting Star D tripod that was
simply awful. Get a bad tripod and you'll never
understand why or how a tripod can improve your
photography.

Mark Lloyd

I have the Bogen 3021 (one generation back) with a 3410 head (low profile but otherwise very similar to the 3047). The 3021 is one of the most popular portable tripods. Sturdy enough for medium format, tall compared to many others, light enough to be reasonably portable, and its "price point" is excellent among new tripods in its size and weight capacity class. In addition to wieght capacity for holding medium format equipment, height without center column extension was also important. Mine came with the "stock" rubber tips on the legs. I replaced them with retractable spikes within a month.

Head choice is more personal than the leg set. Preferences range from ball heads, to 3-D heads, to gear heads and variations include style of QR plates. If considering a 3047 head, also look at the 3410 head.

-- John