Re: [OM] Ack! Macro flash help, please

Subject: Re: [OM] Ack! Macro flash help, please
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:44:41 +0000
At 23:40 1/27/02, Scott Gomez wrote:
We're almost dead on at 1.6 feet from her subject, and I suspect the
background is what's causing trouble. It's a jet black piece of velvet.
Anyone have any suggestions? Are we truly underexposing? Or are we likely to
be over-exposing the actual subject and getting an UNDER reading due to the
dark background.

Scott,
Have you tried spot metering the black velvet and then pressing the "Shadow" button? This shifts the TTL metering by 3 stops and will make black objects black without a flash connected. IIRC it should also shift exposure 3 stops with a T-series flash connected and turned on.

-- John

---
Scott Gomez