Re: [OM] Ack! Macro flash help, please

Subject: Re: [OM] Ack! Macro flash help, please
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:37:50 +0100
On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 03:40:59PM -0800, Scott Gomez wrote:

> We're almost dead on at 1.6 feet from her subject, and I suspect the
> background is what's causing trouble. It's a jet black piece of velvet.
> Anyone have any suggestions? Are we truly underexposing? Or are we likely to
> be over-exposing the actual subject and getting an UNDER reading due to the
> dark background.

You`re overexposing, because the black velvet is fooling the TTL-flash metering.

My suggestion: Set a gray card instead of the subject. If possible it should
cover the whole viewfinder. Notice the indicated shutter speed in the
viewfinder-display.
 Then remove the gray card, and keep the same light-setup
(should be related to your flash lights). Take a second reading of the
indicated shutter
speed. The difference between the two shutter speeds is the amount the
TTL-metering is fooled.

Use the +/- ASA-dial to comensate the error until the viewfinder displays the
same
shutter speed, you`ve noticed with the gray-card. This would give a good
starting point
for bracketing.

Frieder Faig