Re: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:27:10 -0800
At 10:23 PM 1/27/2002 -0800, you wrote:
on 1/27/02 1:08 PM, Curtis P. Hedman at Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 Anyone else notice the irony of Nikon announcing a new MANUAL metal bodied
 SLR with interchangeable screens, motor drive compatibility, ttl flash
 metering, etc. (plus a full range of mechanical shutter speeds) - the
FM3a - about the same time Olympus announces the end of the OM system? Sigh!

Sounds like Nikon just caught up to the OM-3Ti...
--

Jim Brokaw

I wish, but not quite like that. With battery in auto mode it is like an OM-2N -- fully electronic. Without batteries or in manual mode it is fully mechanical. Not an OM-3Ti, but given the reputation of the OM-2N on list, you can see the appeal. Timer is "tuneable" for short durations like FM2 (or OM2000 for that matter) with MLU and aperture stopdown. The scale of the body is just a little bit bigger than a single-digit OM.

Down side: none of us who like the 2-series screens would probably care for the viewfinder (though Nikkors are generally faster lenses than Zuikos -- as they need to be -- so prepare to cough up some extra dough there). Further, you probably have to be right-eyed (winder lever in forehead syndrome) or cough it up again for an MD-12 motor drive. Further, it you've gotten used to OM-3/4 or even OM-2S spotmetering, forget it. Further, ugly shutter noise (I'm just guessing, never having laid hands on one).

So if you're not already corrupted by N*kon, you probably won't go there.

Joel W.

The FM2 sounded fine to me. Solid and precision feeling and sounding. I think the shutter is the same in the 3A. The wind lever did poke me in the eye. Evidently the screens are interchangeable. The one I looked at had one of those clear ones with the central microprism. Incredibly bright. If it had not poked me in the eye I would have not kept looking and discovered Olympus.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California