Re: [OM]

Subject: Re: [OM]
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:46:47 +0000
At 23:27 1/28/02, you wrote:
Has anybody used the MR-9 alkaline battery adapter that supposedly permits
you to use alkaline batteries in your OM bodies that otherwise require
mercury batteries?

Also, has anyone had any experience with Zinc - Air batteries instead of
mercury batteries in the same OM applications?

Thanks.

I have used Zinc-Air; they do just fine but do not last that long (the Wein 625 lasts about 6 months).

I currently use the MR-9 in two different cameras (OM-1n and Rollei 35S). A *sliver* cell (SR76 or SR44) lasts nearly as long as the old mercury cells.

Note:  Use *only* a silver cell with the MR-9.  Do NOT use an alkaline.

Alkalines start to drop voltage about halfway through their lifespan. Your metering will be accurate near the beginning and then slowly lose its accuracy as the alkaline discharges. Silver cells will hold voltage constant until the bitter end, just as the old mercury cells did. Your metering relies on the constant voltage for its accuracy!

-- John