Re: [OM]

Subject: Re: [OM]
From: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:51:54 -0400

"Brian K. Nicoll" wrote:

> Also, has anyone had any experience with Zinc - Air batteries instead of
> mercury batteries in the same OM applications?
>
> Thanks.

Brian, I use the 1.4v hearing aid batteries (duracell 675 I think?) in
both my Olympus RC and OM1. I make them fit by using a small ring of
foam cut from craft foam to keep them centered. As far as exposures,
they seem to agree with all my other OM's when compared to the same
scene or off my gray card. But John H. reports that 1.4v makes an error
of one stop, and I'd think he'd certainly know. When they go, you get no
warning. When they get low, the metering is way off in my RC. Sometimes
I didn't happen to notice it, and I've ruined a few slides :<(  Also,
they only last a short time, after the air seal is removed, maybe a
couple months or a little more. I try to write in my pocket calendar
when to change them. But, they are cheap. In my opinion they're a
temporary measure to use while you're saving up for a CLA and battery
conversion.
Wayne