Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)

Subject: Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:08:58 -0500
On Sunday, January 27, 2002 at 7:26, Winsor Crosby
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impendi" saying:

> I think they will keep their hand in APS and 35 mm point-and-shoot as
> long as there is a market and I think that the new camera will be a
> really nicely enhanced version of the E20 with interchangeable tiny
> lenses for extremes out of the range of the main zoom, but a cut or two
> below the top of the line versions of the big two. What they may do is
> establish a new standard lens mount so that bodies can be discarded and
> replaced every couple of years to get the electronic improvements. I
> guess we will have to wait and see.

My prediction: body with a kind of teleconverter, 2-3 elements, builtin to
aid the parallelisation of lens' rays and keep dust out.

That would be messy to attach existing lenses to!

Forty years ago, some cameras were sold this way, with interchangeable
front elements, e.g. Kodak Retina 3C & Reflex, Contaflex, Aires, Canon EX.
The reason was cost, however.

One of the most interesting notes on it was that it may support Bluetooth.
This is a wireless standard. How would you like to have your pictures sent,
right after taking, to a laptop 50 feet away which forwards them on by
cellphone to the newspaper you're working for? Who needs flash memory?

tOM
------------------------ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-photo-clubs
tOM A. Trottier,        ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980