[OM] Lens Shade and Macro OM Alternatives.

Subject: [OM] Lens Shade and Macro OM Alternatives.
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:14:21 EST
As a long time OM user, the one thing I generally did not like were Olympus
lens shades. So here are some alternatives:

     1) Hama universal 24mm (49mm filter thread) -- is a rectangular
slide/clamp
         that includes a lens cap for fast deployment if you leave it on,
which I do.
         I use it on my OM 28F2.0, but it will also work on the 24F2.8,
28F2.8 and
         28F3.5 as well--35F2.8 also. They also make a 55mm thread version,
         that could be used for the 24F2.0 and 35F2.0 lenses. In both cases,
the
         shade clamps on the OUTSIDE of the lens--hence, they do not obstruct

         the filter threads. B&H carries them for $17.

     2) Those using the old 55F1.2, should try the Zeiss Contax lens shade
         for the 50F1.4. It is made of a very heavy duty rubber that will
         protect your front element from bangs and scratches also.

     3) I use a standard, cheap $5 screw on rubber hood for an OM 50.
         Vastly faster to use and safer than the OM slide on/screw tighten
one.
         I have dropped 2 OM 50s and have had their front filter threads
         dented.

     4) I just got a Hoya 55mm "multi" lens hood for my 100F2.0. While,
         the 100's hood is "good" (as in better some than none), it can
         easily be supplemented by the Hoya at it's longest extension for
         times when you are using it on a tripod or walking around in
         crowds. And especially if you just add a dual element close-up
         lens for macro--screw the hood into the close-up filter. Cost
         was about $15 from B&H.

    5)  Minolta is making a series of dual element close-up lenses
         in both 49mm and 55mm threads. In particular, Minolta's No. O
         is a +1 diopter lens that just "mildly" shifts the range of the
100F2.0
         and 85F2.0 downward. Fairly cheap too, at $30 or so--B&H. Of
         course they can be used on all of the other OMs as well. See
         the following link for 2 element lenses:

         http://angelfire.lycos.com/doc/general/angelfire_popunder.html

     6) Lastly, the Cosina people are supposed to bring out their 125F2.5
         Apo Lanthar in OM mount--Nikon being already available. Cost is
         going to be a little high at $600 or so, but cheaper than a new 90.

Best.

Alex