Re: [OM] OT Scanning Kodachromes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Scanning Kodachromes
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:36:45 +0100 (CET)
Paul,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Reynolds Paul (NAP) wrote:

> If anyone has had reasonable success scanning Kodachrome slides I would love
> to hear from them.

*raises hand* "Ask me, ask me, ask me" ;)

> Using a Nikon Coolscan for the last couple of years, Sensia, Provia, Velvia,
> and Ektachrome are not a problem. Whilst I am aware of the different
> characteristics of K64 which make scanning difficult, I get the impression
> from Photonet and the like that better scans than I am getting are possible.
> When scanning at full res, 2700dpi, I normally get a file size of around
> 25mb. With K64, I'm lucky if it's 15mb, and scan quality can render the file
> virtually unusable, depending on the nature of the image being scanned.

Weird. When I scan using my Canon FS2720 (or something), things seems to
be pretty much the same regardless if I use Kodakchrome (25, 64, 200),
Ektachrome or anything else. A full-resolution file does, indeed, eat
about 25-30 MB of diskspace.

When scanning, I am normally using the "auto-exposure" facilities of the
scanner, as do I normally ask Gimp to do some sort of "auto adjust" of the
image levels before saving. But that's about it. Even if I just scan
(without the abovementioned "adjustments"), I get consistent results.

> The Nikon software that I am using doesn't give me a Kodachrome setting,
> only negative or positive. I haven't been adventurous enough to go in Colour
> Management yet.

Well, my software doesn't offer a Kodakchrome-specific setting either. But
then again, in my experience things seems to be pretty much the same for
scanning all slides.

> I've stopped using K64 for this reason, but there a couple of slides that I
> am anxious to scan.

Say what again? Stopped using K64???? Hmm....We have to watch out for this
guy, pretty soon you'll stop using your OM's too...;)

--thomas