RE: [OM] Film Processing

Subject: RE: [OM] Film Processing
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:45:36 +0000
At 14:49 1/29/02, Joel wrote:

While doing a brief google search in the abortive attempt to find the source of the article, I see that the USPS is trying to get out of the responsibility of irradiating mail altogether. Personally, I think the irradiation scheme is falling apart.

Daring to be hopeful,
Joel W.

Joel,
Wrote what I did with a little tongue in cheek, but feel as you do. The ill-conceived scheme is falling apart. Plain letter mail is being singed which embrittles the paper, windows on "window" envelopes are melting to the mail underneath, etc. I called my congressman's office last Fall just after the USPS announced their plan to implement the electron bombardment scheme. I expressed my concern it was a rush to implement a radically severe and potentially very damaging (to the mails) technology with ZERO testing for unintended consequences. Electron beam irradiation isn't just an electro-magntetic field akin to X-Rays. That's actually a "side effect" from the massive quantities of charged particles flying around (eletctrons). It's really an extremely high energy atomic particle bombardment (big, big difference).

It's my strong suspicion (without any inside knowledge) the USPS and a number of others on Capitol Hill are looking for a very, very quiet way out after having gotten an initial sampling of what the equivalent of an molecular level machine gun does to common objects and materials.

-- John