Re: [OM] OM-1 -- a different metering question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 -- a different metering question
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:19:02 -0800

As you say, what the "correct" exposure is isn't ever known until the film's developed, and even there it's often the case that a compromise was, as it turns out, in order. But that ignores this technical point: with a manual camera one doesn't "fine tune" the exposure through the shutter speed but rather the aperture setting, which effectively offers an infinite scale (within the physical limits of the lens then in use).

Tris

True enough, but as you can never be more than half a stop away from the
'ideal' exposure (which of course is a very arbitrary thing anyway), I
don't think it'll ever matter.  I can't imagine there's any film out
there that can't tolerate half a stop of over/underexposure.

But, if you're striving for perfection, you can set the aperture between
stops.  It'll close down to whatever it's set to, whether that coincides
with a marked stop or not.  Shutter speed doesn't work the same way,
though, and you can only get the marked values.

Roger