Re: [OM] PX675 batteries?

Subject: Re: [OM] PX675 batteries?
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:21:16 -0800
At 02:01 PM 1/29/02 -0700, Dan M wrote:
> I went and tried to find PX625 batteries locally, unsurprisingly with no
>luck.
>
> I _did_ find PX675 batteries; they said 'mercury oxide 1.35v' on the
>package, which was rather surprising given I assumed it was the mercury that
>had been banned..
>

> Assuming I _can_ make a size converting ring up, can I use PX675 batteries
>instead? (why aren't those ones banned, for that matter?)
>
> thanks,
>
> -- dan

Dan,
Here in Canada we were allowed to import the batteries longer than the US.
You can still find "pockets" of Varta stock here and there. Locally in
Victoria I recently laid my hands on a pair of new V 400PX merc cells (for
Spotmatic & some meters) - they were the last of that dealer's stock. There
is one dealer in Victoria who still has some merc 625's left - but he knows
they are hard to find and is charging $15Cndn apiece for them. Varta, I
understand has now ceased all merc cell production so what's out there is it.
Barry H