Re: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography - quite long

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography - quite long
From: "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:59:07 -0000
I've been following this thread with great interest.  I'm surprised at the
number of doom and gloom sentiments expressed about wedding photography and
getting friends to do the job.  Well, I've been that friend, and I think it
worked out OK.  This last August, a friend of mine got married, and her and
her husband both being students they're not overflowing with money.  So they
asked me and another photographer friend to do the job.  I went about it all
the wrong way, really, buying a flash the week before the ceremony and
trying to learn to use it without the time to see the results, hardly even
having time to read any books or get any ideas (in case this makes me look
appalling badly organised, I plead mitigating circumstances - an unexpected
but essential trip abroad disrupted my plans).  When the day came I can't
deny I was extremely nervous, and I felt underprepared, but by the end of it
all I was very happy with what I was doing.

Obviously, not all my photos came out as I had hoped, and there were many
instances where I could have done better.  But thankfully, I got a good
number of worthy shots, and between me and the other photographer, the
couple have filled a large album.  They do seem genuinely pleased with what
we produced.  (My personal favourite was a shot taken at the evening party -
Bohemian Rhapsody was playing, and since Wayne's World there's only one way
to behave at the end of the middle section.  The bride, groom and many
others did so with glee, and a bit of slow flash sync caught the moment
beautifully!)

Would I do it again?  I think I would, and in fact my sister has asked me to
take the photographs at her wedding in May.  Generally bad vibes from the
list have made me ponder this further but I probably will.

As I see it, the main reason to get a pro is a reasonable certainty that a
competent job will be done (but witness Albert's stories about his sister's
wedding photographer, and a couple of not so great experiences related in
this thread to see that it's not necessarily guaranteed).  Reasons to get a
friend to do it - well, maybe they'll take pictures a pro wouldn't be able
to.  The fact that they know you, and probably many of your guests as well,
has got to make for a different style of photography.  Maybe the fact that a
friend took the photos will make them more treasurable to you?  You know if
it's a friend they're going to do their very best for you - I wonder if pros
might have a more jaded attitude to proceedings.

So, my final conclusion - don't write off getting a friend in to do the
work.  If she's had experience then that's definitely a good thing.  If you
can do it without causing offence, a second photographer might give you
greater peace of mind.  Whichever way you go I hope you get good photos from
the happy day!

Roger