Re: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:44:22 +0000
At 02:16 1/27/02, Michael Darling wrote:

I'm not going to be THE photographer for the ceremony (thank god for
that...) , but I figure some fast glass and some good ole' Tri-X should let
me document some of the events.

As a "guest" and not THE photog, this is often an excellent idea. If the photographs are successful, the B&W's are usually something nobody else with a camera there will provide. Tri-X is a "timeless" film, exceptionally forgiving of exposure error, and at ISO 400 you don't have to worry as much about having enough flash power. I used Kodak's B&W Plus 400 once for the convenience of C-41 processing and will never do that again. IMO it's a ho-hum B&W film that tries to be everything without being anything in particular except B&W instead of color.

I am sorry to say that I _may_ abandon my trusty OM's for one of my dad's
Leicas + 35/1.4 and maybe a 90mm.  If I could afford a 35/2 for my OM's,
then I'd take one of them.

If the Leica is an RF and you haven't used it that much, I suggest you rethink the idea. I've used an RF with a very fast lens and handle mounted flash at a wedding (not as "the" photog). Using the RF viewfinder is more difficult than using a WYSISYG SLR viewfinder. I haven't found an RF viewfinder yet that is as accurate with actual frame edge location as the OM SLR's (including an OM-10). OTOH, if you've used it quite a bit and are very comfortable working with it quickly in fast moving situations, and can capture a "decisive moment" with it, you should be OK. [If the Leica is an SLR, disregard this paragraph.]

-- John