RE: [OM] OM-1 -- a different metering question

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-1 -- a different metering question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:54:16 +0000
At 19:09 1/29/02, Robert R. Gries wrote:
Actually, it is better not to have the increments.  If you need 1/3 stop
accuracy (as with slides), you don't want to set it 1/6 stop from the
1/2 stop "click".

Most (if not all) LF lenses have no stops so that the photographer can
set the f-stop anywhere he likes - it's just a function of how accurate
his meter is.

Unlike the MF Nikon F's, the f-stop is not displayed in the viewfinder. The full stop increments allow a tactile feedback so the user can tell what f-stop the lens is set to without looking at the lens; simply requires remembering the lens speed wide open. Half-stop or third-stop increments would be too many and guarantee confusion. The location of the "wings" on the shutter speed ring also provide tactile feedback. The shutter speed is set to 1/30th when an imaginary line connecting them is horizontal (if the camera is also horizontal). I've used these two features on numerous occasions when it's too dark to read the aperture or shutter speed and using a flashlight was infeasible.

I have two other 35mm rangefinder cameras, one with 1/3rd stop increments for the lens aperture and the other with no detents at all. Neither are intended for setting exposure with viewfinder held to the eye though. There are meters on them, but they're not TTL and must be read looking at the top of the camera. May sound inconvenient but it's not. Both can actually be worked quickly.

I wouldn't want half-stop or even third-stop increments on the OM Zuiko lenses either.

-- John