Re: [OM] Ack! Macro flash help, please

Subject: Re: [OM] Ack! Macro flash help, please
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:23:26 -0800
on 1/29/02 12:50 AM, Daan Kalmeijer at daan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Scott,
>
> Combining the T28 and a 135 mm doesn't get you the best pictures. That 1.6
> feet is a bit to far for a T28, the flash gets to axial to produce good
> shadows, you get over-exposed foregrounds - under-exposed backgrounds and
> you could get into problems with reflections. You could diffuse one of the
> T28 heads with a 21mm diffusor (for the T32) and hand-hold the other T28
> head a bit off-center. Better yet, combine a diffused T28 with a T32, hold
> that T32 on the side or above the subject.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Daan

Scott -- I think you might want to investigate a 'light tent' for this kind
of photography. Someone mentioned that direct light is very difficult for
jewelry (especially gems) due to the reflective surfaces. A cylindrical
white cloth tent with flash and modeling lights located outside the tent
will soften the reflections and glare, sort of like bounce-flash for regular
interior shots.
--

Jim Brokaw