Re: [OM] OM-1 -- a different metering question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 -- a different metering question
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:23:26 -0800
on 1/29/02 10:44 AM, Skip Williams at skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I wish that Olympus had made their lenses with half-stop aperture
> increments.  But very few competitors ever did that (that I know), including
> Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and Pentax.  (Am I wrong?)  Leica and new Voigtlander
> lenses have the 1/2 stop dedents, and I really enjoy it.  WHat it does mean
> is that the F-stops are further apart to make it easier to deal with the
> larger number of clcks.
>
> THe reality of the situation is that most manufacturers instead moved to
> automatic cameras, which did exactly what was needed, either for the
> aperture or the shutter speed.
>
> Skip

If you're a tinkerer like Moose, you could take the lens apart and file
extra little grooves in the aperture ring. There is a ring with grooves
spaced and a spring-loaded ball drops into each groove to make the 'click'
stops... so extra grooves in between those already there would be
half-stops. If you filed them not as deep as the factory groove that would
be a different feel as you turned it, and might be an even better way to do
this. Maybe I'll try it on one of the 50/1.8's I have around...
--

Jim Brokaw