Re: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:08:45 -0600
Some of us prefer the OM-2S, which I guess for this discussion is really more a OM-2 1/2 or OM-4M(inus) and not really comparable. But here's why:

At 09:42 PM 1/29/2002 -0800, Bill you wrote:
1. An OM-2 in manual mode has almost the same functionality as an OM-1
(except for the mirror lock-up), but uses readily available batteries.
It's two, two, two cameras in one!

Same functionality or same display? All the OM's have the same *functionality* in manual mode. With the OM-2S, you can take a reading in auto, line up shutter speed and stop to match the reading and click to manual and spot meter around the scene to verify the reading before shooting. This is functionality one can only wish the OM-1/2 had. And though you can do the same with OM-3/4, the procedure is much less fluid. Plus, the center-weighted averaging meter is just better in the OM-2S.

2.  If Emilda Marcos used the OM system, she would want an OM-2, because
it has the most shoes!

(I rest my case.) Let the late night bidding on eBay begin. The OM-2 also uses the old style MD caps. I suppose Imelda would favor that style too.

3.  You can make new friends searching the world for an Autoconnector
[3,4].

Whether you make friends or not, you will certainly be searching.

4. The off switch really (almost) turns everything off.

If you remember to turn it off. (Actually, I think the design to allow fast auto exposures in the off position is pretty cunning. The OM-2 *is* good on batteries.)

5.  No bad reputation for eating batteries.

The OM-2S (in good working order) uses more batteries because it provides greater readiness to shoot. The batteries are plentiful and cheap. This is not a big deal in my awareness and I have three OM-2S's.

6.  Probably the best build quality of any OM.

I would say build quality is on par with all single-digit OMs except that it appears to be heavier than others. Olympus improved the weight problem with OM-2S/3/4.<g>

7.  Genuine match-needle metering - no stinkin' LCD's!

You're right.  Better needles.

8.  The motor drive cover fits in the slot of the Winder.

Convenient for stealing.

9.  Nice satin finish on the chrome body.

Such that you won't confuse it with the OM-1?

10. Own a piece of history!  Don't you remember how Olympus stunned the
world with the OM-2 in 1976?  The OTF metering and TTL flash were
sensational then, and still sensational now.

Or take the next step and own the best and rarest professional OM camera. Enjoy the advantage of using 2-series screens! Surprise and delight with that incredible shutter sound on the OM-2S.

11.  If you don't buy an OM-2, you'll just spend your money on something
foolish, like guns, whiskey, or Enron stock.  It's an investment (uh
huh).

Bill Stanke

You can invest or you can shoot.  The OM-2S is the best shooter going.

(Apologies, Bill, for taking this so seriously.  All in fun!)

Cheers,
Joel W.