RE: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2

Subject: RE: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:09:03 -0600
>===== Original Message From "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx> =====

That price doesn't seem as bad to me as it once might have.  It would depend
upon the real condition of the camera.  In all seriousness, pursuit of a good
OM-2S can be tough. The shutter string problem among OM-2S's and OM-4's has
nipped me.  I coughed up about $350 to KEH to get a really mint OM-2S (I also
got a Made in Japan 50/1.8 which I really prize in the package) after a
certain amount of frustration locating a perfect OM-2S. I suspect the ones
with really bad boards are long out of circulation, but apparently there are
still some that are battery suckers.  I guess before I bought another one I
would:

1) Make sure I have a reasonable approval period to test the camera thoroughly
for the shutter string problem.  This would involve both the manual test
described in the FAQ and a test roll or two on chrome film.

2) Check standing battery drain to make sure it is within reasonable
tolerance. I can't remember what is reasonable, but it has been discussed on
list many times and is certainly in the archives.

3) Make sure the LCD display works OK.  I know that missing elements in the
display are not a big deal, not a harbinger of bad things to come, etc.  But I
don't like feeling.  Perfect displays only.

4) You can't assume that the permanent shoe on the OM-2S/3/4 is parallel with
the track of the film. I don't have a single OM body I can really trust to be
level to nature using a spirit level in the shoe.  The shoes on all my OM-2S's
have had to be tightened.

If the OM-2S has not already caught you in its alluring web, your life would
be simpler just staying with an OM-1/OM-2N or standardizing on a OM-4.

Joel W.

P.S.  Hope that helps, Ken. <g>