RE: [OM] Glass plates (Was: Don't need no...)

Subject: RE: [OM] Glass plates (Was: Don't need no...)
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:03:46 +0100
Could be that you are thinking of Carleton E. Watkins (1829-1916). Took
many photos of Yosemite, etc. on glass plates.

See http://www.photographymuseum.com/watkinsl.html

Roger Key, Copenhagen

A week or two ago I caught just the tail end of a portion of one
of the Antique Roadshow programs, and they were talking about a
photographer in the American west in the late 1800s who shot on
20x24 inch glass plates.  He hauled camera and plates around on a
string of mules, wrote an autobiography, died in his 90s and left
over 40,000 glass plates.  I just can't remember his name.

Now that's photography for the retro folks (of which I am one, I
guess).  Wonder how many OMs a mule could carry, if a mule would
carry any OMs.

Walt Wayman