RE: [OM] Glass plates (Was: Don't need no...)

Subject: RE: [OM] Glass plates (Was: Don't need no...)
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:51:02 -0600
>===== Original Message From "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx> =====
>A week or two ago I caught just the tail end of a portion of one
>of the Antique Roadshow programs, and they were talking about a
>photographer in the American west in the late 1800s who shot on
>20x24 inch glass plates.  He hauled camera and plates around on a
>string of mules, wrote an autobiography, died in his 90s and left
>over 40,000 glass plates.  I just can't remember his name.
>
>Now that's photography for the retro folks (of which I am one, I
>guess).  Wonder how many OMs a mule could carry, if a mule would
>carry any OMs.
>
>Walt Wayman

Wm Henry Jackson?  A painter named Thomas Moran accompanied him on a US
Geological Survey in Wyoming (I think) and environs and they apparently were
mutually supportive, though Moran's paintings really had far more impact.
(Mt. Moran among the Tetons is named for him.)

Can't speak to the mule question. <g>

Joel W.