Re: [OM] archiving... how to make a contact proof with a scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] archiving... how to make a contact proof with a scanner
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:04:44 -0500
At 03:45 PM 1/30/02 -0500, you wrote:
You can get acceptable digital contact sheets by three methods that I can think of:

1. Normal reflective flatbed scanner with negatives in a full-page sleeve:
a. Use a white background and scan at 300dpi, Invert the image in Photoshop. (I've gotten so-so results like this.) b. Use a piece of glass on the platen and a diffuse source such as light table above the scanner. This sounds nice, but I haven't had the time to try it. c. If you have a high-end flatbed scanner, you can use the 8x10 tranparancy options, but few of us have access to those expensive machines.

2. Roll-film options on Nikon scanners - This works well to scan a roll at a time , but not when you've already cut up the negatives.

3. Put the negatives on a light table, cover them with glass, and shoot them with a Digital Camera. This looks like the easiest option, but I haven't tried it yet.

IMO, the "best" option is to do normal, darkroom contact sheets. It's cheap and easy to see your mistakes. All the digital options seem very convoluted.

Skip

Seems there is a paper specifically made for making black and white prints of color negatives... I've been considering using this to make contact prints for archiving my boxes of negs. Does anyone recall what this paper is?

Chuck