Re: [OM] 100mm/2.8 lens hood

Subject: Re: [OM] 100mm/2.8 lens hood
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:13:11 -0800
Larry Woods wrote:

> My first Zuiko 100mm/2.8, which I had from 1974 to 1976, came with a
> cylindrical lens case and a lens shade that fitted in the lid.
> My current 100mm/2.8 lens, purchased circa 1983, came with a lens
> pouch and a lens shade.  I must admit that I hardly used the
> lens shade; it sat in the bottom of the pouch most of the time.
>
> I lost the pouch and hood on vacation last summer, and got new
> Olympus replacements from B&H.  The new pouch is stiffer than the old
> one, and I found it a nuissance to remove and replace the lens.
> Rather than give the pouch a decade or so of use to soften up,
> I found an old cylindrical case for the 100mm on Ebay.
>
> To my surprise, the newly acquired case won't close with the lens
> shade fitted in the lid - the outside diameter of the shade is
> larger than the inside diameter of the lens case.
>
> The new hood is rubber, and marked both 2/85mm and 2.8/100mm.
>
> What gives?  Did Olympus make two different lens shades for this lens,
> and only the old one fits in the case?  Do cases shrink over time?
> Am I imagining this problem?  Some of the above?

I for one can't understand the fuss about having the right shade. For my
100/2.8 I have a 58mm thread generic metal hood for a 50mm or 55mm
normal lens on a 49mm to 58mm step up ring. The hood with step up ring
fits perfectly inside the lid of the original OM 100/2.8 hard case and
keeps the lens snugly in place in the bottom part of the case.

jh