RE: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens

Subject: RE: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:34:36 -0700
> Cons are that it almost always has a fixed apeture
> (usually at f8 or so).

 Why is this the case? I've only ever seen mirror lenses at f8, but what is
it about the design that stops them putting aperture blades in there?

 Also, how awkward _is_ this? f8's a reasonable aperture, I guess, but do
you end up needing a lot of ND filters or something in practise?

 (There's normally a few on e*ay for $130 or so; various brands, but they
all look pretty much identical. I'm almost tempted, but the bokeh I've seen
on mirror shots is so ghastly I'm afraid..)

 -- dan