RE: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens

Subject: RE: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:15:24 -0700
> - Someone mentioned that f8 is a 'reasonable' aperture. At 500mm, f8 has
> very little depth of field, making certain shots impossible.

 That was me, and I'd not thought of that issue; I was assuming that f8 is
'about a medium' amount of depth of field, and that 'medium' goes up as the
lens length does.

> + Mirror lenses usually focus quite a bit closer than regular teles.

 Yes, the ones on e*ay claim they'll focus down to 5.6 feet/1:3, which is
pretty good. (though I'm not sure when I'd use that; photographing flowers
on the other side of fences or something, I guess)

 It sounds as if mirror lenses have a whole lot of things against them in
terms of usability -- is the cheapness+lesser weight enough of a benefit, or
are they only really something you carry 'just in case'?

 -- dan