Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:47:59 -0800
I tend to agree with Winsor, Pictures from the conventional lenses seem to 'look better' than those from the mirror lenses. I don't know whether it's contrast pre se or alone. Gary's tests of the 400/6.3, 500/6 and 600/6.3 Olys and the 500/8 Tamron would lead one to expect better images from the regular lenses both in contrast and resolution. Perhaps it's partially in the 'way' the image goes 'out of focus'. We've already noted the weird circular bokeh in obviously unfocused images on mirror lenses. All areas out of the exact plane of focus are somewhat unfocused depending on distance from the plane and they are unfocused in a different way on mirror lenses. We came up with all the DOF rules subjectively based on how images from conventional lenses look. Maybe we are seeing a different kind of DOF effect? Har to test, since we can't stop down the mirror lenses!

So a big, heavy conventional lens and sturdy tripod are definitely better.....if you carry them with you and get the shot. If you leave them home, they are much worse than small, light mirror lenses. Each photographer will have a different answer to what is best, and often different answers under different circumstances.

Moose

Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:
<snip>

It sounds as if mirror lenses have a whole lot of things against them in
terms of usability -- is the cheapness+lesser weight enough of a benefit, or
are they only really something you carry 'just in case'?

-- dan